Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Party At Poland Springs


Last spring I was at our HOG Road Captain's meeting to fill out the summer riding schedule. One of the other road captains asked if anyone was interested in going to Poland Springs Resort and Inn for a fall event. He mentioned it was pretty cheap. All told it would cost us about $100.00 each for two nights 4 Meals and entertainment each night. It sounded like a bargain to me.

Out front there is this cute gazebo on the edge of the golf course with peak foliage close at hand. Little did I know that this place is a classic style inn (Dirty Dancing like) and filled to capacity with some fairly old guests. In the end it didn't really matter as we just partied by ourselves. It certainly is not a place I would go for a romantic get away but as a group we made our own fun. There were a few complaints from the elderly guests around us about noise but the staff was pretty understanding and accomodating.

You didn't want to miss meals. If you did you went hungry as there was no other food available on the premises besides popcorn. I rode in late Friday and went hungry. I had to have beer and popcorn for dinner.The inn was actually ok if you don't mind bringing your own towels and soap. Apparently old people don't need these things (who knew?) but I had heard this was the case so I was prepared unlike some others that had to go foraging.

The weather was a ok with sunny mornings and cool overcast afternoons - Camden Maine There was a good turnout. I didn't count but I'd say there were over 50 of us there.

Hangin in the lobby waiting for dinner We certainly brought our own fun with us. There were moments I was laughing so hard I couldn't breathe. Many an adult beverage was drunk and someone brought cherries soaked in 151 rum. It wasn't pretty but it was damn funny. There was some pretty good riding with peak foliage about a week away. All in all a very good weekend.

The ride home

No comments: